Letting Myself Go
Although I don’t consider myself especially vain, I’ve always been one of those women who wouldn’t be caught dead without makeup, mostly because I look dead without makeup.
This granny-parenting thing has sure changed that. I’m happy if I get out the door with clothes on.
Here’s the rundown of all the ways I’m going downhill:
- I seldom get to the gym. I figure with a dog, a kid, a hoop, weights, an elliptical machine and a two-story house I do ok.
- I’ve had one professional haircut in the past year, and that was only an end trim. (This is less a matter of letting myself go, more about giving up on ever finding someone who can consistently deal with all my weird cowlicks and odd curls.)
- When I put earrings in I have to sort of re-pierce them.
- Today is Tuesday. The last time I showered was Sunday (but I’m headed that way next, before I go to Chloe’s school holiday party).
- The only times I bother with makeup are church and other social occasions.
So if you encounter me at the grocery store and I look like death on a plate, don’t worry. This is my new look.