Sorry about the terrible pun.
This project came together by a confluence of my having a denim skirt bought at a thrift store for pennies–I never liked the fit–and my ongoing quest of the perfect purse.
I expected it to take about an afternoon, but since I was working without a pattern and trying to make the best use of the skirt’s features, it took about an afternoon and a half, with a lot of attempts at problem-solving going on in my head in between. It felt more like an engineering project than a sewing job.
I also made a lot of mistakes. I remind anyone attempting anything with pockets: attach pockets to flat pieces first. And consider the order in which they need to be attached. I had a pocket on top of a pocket and had to rip the first one off the bag in order to attach the second. The water bottle pocket gave me no end of mental difficulty, and I’m still not sure it’s going to work. I also wish I had done all the stitching in white. I didn’t have denim-blue or the goldish-orange denim is top-stitched with, so I started with black and ended up using white for the Velcro and finishing. The workmanship leaves a lot to be desired. The weight of the denim was also a problem: my cranky, ancient machine just didn’t want to stitch over those double-triple-quadruple-weight seams. I broke one sewing machine needle and bent two others. By some miracle I had a supply on hand.
It was definitely an experiment. I may try another, using better materials and the lessons I learned. All told, it cost the small amount for a skirt I didn’t wear, $1.50 for the Velcro, plus the broken/bent needles. Also some blood: a lot of pinpricks and a scissors cut.